Friday 12 April 2013

Indietracks interview #2: Camera Obscura


We're hugely excited to be welcoming Camera Obscura back to Indietracks this year. We can't believe it's four whole years since they played at our festival as part of our partnership with Elefant Records in 2009. The band will be marking the release of their forthcoming album, Desire Lines, in June 2013 and we can't wait to see them headline our outdoor stage. Sam from A Layer Of Chips had a chat with Carey from the band a few weeks ago:


This is your second time at Indietracks. What are your memories of the last time you played?
It was sunny and it rained. The train sold booze. I bumped into friends from London, Glasgow, Sweden, Ireland and San Francisco. The best bit was the hog roast after the show.

How does Indietracks differ from other festivals you play?
I guess it has a bit of the spirit of the original Bowlie. It has its own community thing going on (it’s full of internet nerds, right?) and is lacking in pretension. I respect the challenging logistics involved in organising an event like this and I think it’s great the project has been such a success that it has been running for several years now.

Who else would you like to see playing at Indietracks?
I don’t really know the other bands that are playing, and we don’t generally expect to see anyone else when we do a festival. If we do, it’s a bonus.

What's the best festival you've been to (apart from Indietracks), and why?
I like ATP because of the indoor aspect. I’m not a real fan of being out in the elements all day. Coachella was a fun experience, though the hipness becomes tiring quickly.

What's the first festival you went to as a punter? And do you remember who headlined?
I went to Reading festival when I was a teenager. I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined, which was pretty awful, but it was exciting to be there as not many bands came through Maidstone, where I lived. I learnt to wash my hair in a plastic bag, a technique I have had to re-adopt on tour a few times.

Will you be playing mainly new songs at this year's festival?
I imagine we will play a mixture of stuff from previous albums as well as the new one. I think festival crowds enjoy and deserve something familiar, but I hope there will be some enthusiasm for a few new numbers.

And what's next for the band?
As we get older it is becoming more uncertain what lies around the next corner so I’ll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment