Sunday 9 May 2010

Indietracks interview #8: The Hillfields



Hello! With all the election excitement of the past few days, we hope you remembered to pick up your early bird ticket and save yourself a few pounds! If not, don't worry - tickets are still available from the Indietracks website.

We're feeling pretty chipper tonight. Not only has Indietracks just been named as one of The Observer's Top Ten festivals, but we're also interviewing the lovely Hillfields on the blog today. The Hillfields are an indiepop three piece living in London, who released their debut LP "It'll Never Be The Same Again" on Underused Records last year. Made up of vocalist and guitarist Rob Boyd, bassist Grant Wilkinson and drummer Carlos Russell, they play a mixture of mellowed out lo-fi with bursts of noisy guitar pop.

They released their first EP, "A Visit", on Cloudberry Records in February 2008 and later that year their song "Spoon" was voted number nine in the Festive 50 chart hosted by Dandelion Radio. The band have been described as ‘Pavement scoring a Hal Hartley film’ or ‘Mojave meets Frusciante’, and are due to release a six-track EP, just before Indietracks.

Hello Hillfields! You seem to be very busy - what music are you enjoying at the moment?

Rob: The Mary Onettes, lots of The Chills, lots of Nick Cave and lots of weird stuff with strange instruments.

Grant: Just getting into the Mountain Goats, surprised myself by listening to 69 Love Songs by the Magnetic Fields more than once in 2010, and I've also been listening to Roy Smeck, the ukulele wizard!

Carlos: I'm currently revisiting Violent Femmes, Morphine and Guadalcanal Diary. I'm also a big Medeski, Martin & Wood fan... shhh!

Grant: Might have to get Rob to make Carlos a mixtape!

Do you have any exciting plans for the rest of the year after Indietracks?

Rob: I think playing at Indietracks will be the highlight in my view.

Carlos: Indietracks, and our new EP, Come Outside, coming out just before then.

Grant: After Indietracks, I’ll be spending the rest of the year building my first two ukuleles…

And what's going to be on your compilation tapes as you travel down to Indietracks?

Rob: Motorhead mainly, I need something to steel myself for driving plus a little bit of Gruff Rhys, Gorky's, Sonic Youth, Wire - a bit of a post punk mix is coming on I think.

Grant: I will hide the Travelling Wilburys cassette inherited from the outlaws, and go for a bit of AC/DC, Fleet Foxes and The Wave Pictures if I can get my iPod off shuffle…

Carlos: Probably Ramones and Replacements

Who are you most looking forward to seeing at the Indietracks festival, and why?

Rob: I'll be looking forward to seeing Secret Shine, the last time I saw them was in 1992 at the Camden Falcon and they look like they've aged a bit better than me! Plus Ballboy are a long standing favourite of mine so it will be great to see them again

Grant: Very excited to see the David Tattersall solo slot, and playing with the same bill as the Pains again will bring back happy memories of when we opened the Lost Music Cloudberry night a couple of years ago.

Thanks Hillfields! Enjoy making your mixtapes and we look forward to seeing you later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment