Wednesday 8 June 2011

Indietracks interview #11: Sloppy Joe


Today’s interview comes all the way from Japan! Sloppy Joe are an 80s influenced indiepop band from Tokyo. They released their second single "Portrait" in 2010 on their own label "Cubbyhole Fabrication", and their first full album "With Kisses Four" on Japan's White Lily Label in March. Their sound can be compared to mid 80s bands like Orange Juice, The Jazz Butcher, The Chesterfields, and The Smiths. They play with brilliant guitar, groovy rhythm and sing melancholic melodies. In Japan, they've supported some great bands like The Monochrome Set, Friends, Television Personalities, The Lotus Eaters, The Pearlfishers, and The Starlets. We’re joined by Hitoshi from the group...


Hi, tell us a little bit about Sloppy Joe...

Sloppy Joe formed in 2003 in Japan. We’re based in Tokyo where I used to be in another band with Riichiro (our guitarist) called My Coffee Moment, who released a single on Firestation Records in Germany. Sloppy Joe have released two singles and a mini album, and our first full album was released on the Japanese label White Lily in March 2011. We’ve played as support act for Television Personalities, The Monochrome Set and more foreign bands before. Please check out more info about us on Myspace: www.myspace.com/sloppyjoejp

What music are you enjoying at the moment?

Today I'm listening to Beach Fossils, Kisses, Minks, Brave Irene. And I've recently been listening to releases by Phil Wilson and Edwyn Collins. I especially love 80s and early 90s sounds, for example, Orange Juice, The June Brides, The Monochrome Set, Felt, The Orchids, Another Sunny Day, St.Christopher etc... Next Time Passions is another favourite too. Our sound is influenced by these sort of groups.

What's going to be on your compilation tapes as you travel down to Indietracks?

My compilation tapes for Indietracks will be full of indie-pop songs!! The first song has already been decided, "Blue Boy" by Orange Juice.

What attracted you to play the Indietracks festival?

I'm so excited! I went to Indietracks 2010 to see my favourite bands, The Orchids, The Pooh Sticks and others. And I thought I wanted to perform at this great indiepop festival. I'm really glad that my wish is fulfilled.

Who are you most looking forward to seeing at the Indietracks festival, and why?

I'm looking forward to seeing Edwyn Collins. I'm a big fan of him. Orange Juice has been best band for me ever. And I want to see Graeme Elston. Our second single, Portrait, came with a fanzine last year, and we interviewed Graeme Elston for the fanzine. In Japan, most indiepop fans love his band Love Parade.

Thanks Hitoshi!

No comments:

Post a Comment