Wednesday 6 July 2011

Indietracks interview #18: Edwyn Collins


Today we're incredibly excited to be chatting to Edwyn Collins, who will headline the Saturday night of this year's Indietracks festival!

Ivor Novello award-winning Edywn Collins formed the Nu-Sonics in 1976 and later went on to form Orange Juice, who had a Number 8 hit with Rip It Up. Collins released A Girl Like You in 1994, which was a hit in both the UK and the US. Losing Sleep, the first album Edwyn recorded following his double brain haemorrhage in 2005, was released in September last year. Whilst making the record, he collaborated with Johnny Marr, Roddy Frame and members of The Cribs, Franz Ferdinand, The Magic Numbers and The Drums.

Hi Edwyn, tell us a bit more about what you've been up to since Losing Sleep was released last year - you seem to be very busy!

I've been touring with my band, the UK, Europe, more Europe, then the USA (NYC and SXSW in Austin.) I'm still at it, off to Japan in the autumn. behaving like a young person, phew.

Are there plans for a new album soon?

I've got some new songs, bits of things, but probably not until next spring or summer.

You've recently teamed up with Ryan Jarman from The Cribs to produce the latest Comet Gain album, and you also produced the Frankie and the Heartsrings album - how does the production experience compare to playing and writing your own songs?

It's the other half of me. Working in my studio (I've had it for 16 years) and being a producer (been doing that for 20 years) is a very big part of my life. It's good to be back at it.

What attracted you to playing Indietracks?

You have a good reputation. I was asked before and couldn't make it.

Indietracks is set in the grounds of a steam railway - tell us about any unusual places that you've played gigs in the past.

I always remember this very weird cinema by a very deep lake in Austria. I was there twice. There was no PA and we had to stand in front of the screen in a straight line. I believe some bad things happened in that
locale during the war years.

Do you have any surprises in store for Indietracks?

Erm....not really, sorry! Just me and the band.

Thanks Edwyn - see you in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment